Over 100 Free Tutorials on WordPress, Multimedia, Blogging, SEO, ebooks, ecommerce, Mobile Sites and More. Presented by Kristi Marie Gott, certified by university classes in these topics.
News Dec. 2014: StudioMediaCam author writes news article used by CNN news website, west coast storm photos and story.
Help for Webs. Go step by step with Kristi Marie Gott. 100+ free tutorials. WordPress Is a Flexible, Customizable Software Used for Websites, Blogs and Combinations of Both – It Is Also Very Economical
What is WordPress in Detail and Who uses WordPress?
More than 50% of the top 100 sites in the world use WordPress . From NASA to Ford Motor Company the businesses using WordPress are concrete proof of its quality.
Notable users of WordPress include well known news organizations, Fortune 500 businesses, political figures and celebrities. Here are a few of them.
- New York Times
- Katie Perry
- and many more.
Who Created WordPress?
Matt Mullenweg and Mike Little first introduced the earliest versions of WordPress in 2003. Matt attended the University of Houston before leaving in 2004 to work for CNET.
In 2005 Matt left CNET to found Automattic, (yes, it is spelled with two t’s) the company behind WordPress as well as many other related companies. He is also a successful musician, traveling the globe. You can visit his website and see photos of his travels and read more about WordPress.
WordPress is Open Source.
Open source means the software is free. There is no charge for the software. It can be shared with everyone for free.
Anyone can modify the software and share that too. They can also make custom changes to it and then market it. It is like getting a recipe from someone, sharing it with others, perhaps changing it and even charging for it.
WordPress.com At wordpress.com there is a hosted version that provides free hosting. But free hosting version does not have a custom domain and will have ads on your site. There is a paid service at wordpress.com too where you get a custom domain and the ads are removed. The versions at wordpress.com have fewer customizations available than wordpress.org and most business sites use the wordpress.org version.
WordPress.org. There is a self-hosted version from wordpress.org. which has the most options for customizing and for ecommerce. A domain will run about $10-$12 per year and web hosting (providing a place to store the files online) will run less than $10 a month. This wordpress version has the most number of customizations available and is best for business needs and ecommerce.
What types of sites use WordPress?
All kinds of sites use WordPress. Traditional websites, blog sites, and combination sites can be created with wordpress. Ecommerce sites, marketers, businesses, online stores use WordPress. People who want a mobile device friendly site use WordPress. WordPress mobile responsive themes are built for easy viewing on both computers and mobile devices.
Multisites use WordPress such as CNN blogs.
Sites that add or update information frequently use WordPress. Adding new content is easy in WordPress so sites that plan to update frequently use it. The blog shows the most recently added articles. The categories group the articles under topics to make it easy to look them up. Some blogs are thousands of pages long and have been continually updated for many years.
People who do not use code languages use WordPress. Menus and icons are used instead of code so people use it who want to create their own sites but who do not know how to write html, css and other code languages. You use a text box similar to an email box to add the text, photos, videos and other content. Click publish and your update is done.
Web developers who write code use WordPress too. With one click you can access the site code and rewrite the code or add to it. WordPress developers can take a theme and customize the code.
Marketers use WordPress because it has good search engine optimization. It comes with seo built into it. Plus the average person who does not write code can easily add plugins and other customizations to increase the seo. Landing on the front page of search engine results is often easier with WordPress. Search engines like sites that add new content regularly. Since WordPress makes this easy to do it’s a favorite for those who seek top ranking with search engines.
You can create a traditional business website or a blog. You can also create a combination site with both.
Thousands of themes are available to meet an infinite number of needs from business to art and entertainment.
What does WordPress cost?
- There are varieties of WordPress but the software itself is free. WordPress.com offers a hosting service with hosting for free too with a simpler, easier version of WordPress. However it is less customizable and less suitable for online ecommerce than the WordPress.org verson.
- WordPress is open source software, free to all.
- WordPress.com.Many people start with WordPress.com to take a look at the dashboard and learn the basics with a simplest version. To have a custom domain of your own and a site without ads on it you can pay a fee for an upgrade. There are also various premium upgrades at WordPress.com.
- WordPress.org. For a more complex but more customizable version that can be used for ecommerce and online selling you can use the WordPress.org version. You will need to sign up for an account with a web host but it usually runs less than $10 per month for the hosting. The domain will run about $10-$12 a year. With the self-hosted, WordPress.org version you will need to get a spam blocker for the comments areas for $5 a month. The software is free.
What equipment do I need and how much will it cost?
- There is no need to spend a lot of money or run up debts. You can do this very economically. You do not need to buy the more expensive computers to find one that can do what is needed. The lower priced computers, especially during sales, provide affordable equipment to do what you need.
- For example, in 2014 I’m using equipment that I got on sale. For a laptop I use an Asus notebook that was on sale for $250 in 2013, reduced from $300. I also have a desktop that was in the same price range. and a 20 inch monitor that was about $80. Much of the software I use is free.
- For $30 a month I have a 30 meg internet cable connection from Charter.
- This economical setup has worked fine.
Extras that are not necessary but could be useful include:
- For $89 I also got a 20″ external monitor that plugs into the notebook computer. This way I have two monitors. In the control panel you simply click to extend and it is like having one long monitor. This way you can look at reference material or steps to do something while you are doing it in another window. You just drag windows from one monitor to the other the same way you usually drag them.
- For $20 I have a Logitech external mic that I used when recording screencasts.
- Also for about $20 I have a Logitech webcam that attaches to the top of the notebook screen.
- For about $20 I got a USB hub to add 4 more USB ports to the notebook. It simply plugs into a USB port and has a hub with 4 more ports.
Why do people use WordPress?
- WordPress uses icons and menus similar to the text boxes in emails. You don’t need to know how to write or understand code to use it.
- Mobile Responsive WordPress themes work on both computers and small screen smartphones. WordPress will detect the device used by the visitor and automatically reformat for easiest viewing. For example, on the small screen of a smartphone WordPress reformats so the labels in the horizontal menu bar are listed vertically so the user will not need to scroll sideways to see them. The content is also reformatted into one long column. The user can just scroll down instead of having to scroll sideways too. Studies show people using small screens do not like to scroll sideways and find that view to be confusing as well.
- WordPress has great search engine optimization built into it. Whether you are creating a site for local search or for global searches WordPress helps you get to the top of the front page of the search engine results. You can add additional search engine optimization with plugins and other customizations. Search engines like sites that add or update information frequently and WordPress makes it easy to do this.
- You can create a traditional looking website homepage with a blog for a combination site, or create either a static site or a blog.
- It’s cost effective, flexible and easy to customize with different designs, features and functions. Other than $10 or so a year for a domain, less than $10 for a web host, and $5 for a spam blocker you can get almost everything else for free.
- Since you can update it or change it yourself you don’t need to pay a web developer to write new code or make changes and updates. Huge savings.
- Thousands of functions and features can be added to your site, almost all for free, by just clicking. Whether you want to add a gallery of art, a paypal store button, or a musical podcast there is a widget or a plugin for it.
- Thousands of free and commercial premium themes are available to give your site the design look and feel that you wish.
- There is plenty of WordPress communitysupport when you need help. WordPress.com provides free support and WordPress.org self hosted sites have an infinite number of help sites on the internet. Just type a question into the search engine box and see the results.
- Premium themes and add ons are available to add even more features and functionality.
How Do People Generate Income By Using WordPress?
- WordPress developers offer a variety of services from design to coding.
- Theme creators sell premium themes.
- Plugin creators sell plugins and create custom plugins when needed.
- Businesses profit from having an internet presence.
- Content creators write copy, create videos and audio, write ebooks, and record screencasts.
- WordPress hosting is another way people generate income.
- WordPress site designers build websites and blogs.
- WordPress tech support is another related field.
- Membership sites and subscription sites also provide income.
- WordPress ecommerce including selling online from a WordPress site.
- WordPress book authors sell books and ebooks from their sites and from other book sellers.
- WordPress Training in the form of online courses is offered.
- Affiliate Marketers add links to companies in order to earn commissions.
How do mobile devices view WordPress?
- WordPress themes created in recent times have built in mobile friendly features and are known as mobile responsive.
- The goal for a good easy viewing experience is to eliminate having to scroll sideways to see what is on the rest of the site that is not showing on the smartphone or small tablet.
- Studies show people do not mind scrolling down when using a mobile device. But scrolling sideways on a smartphone gives a confusing view of the site.
- The sites using the responsive themes detect the device used by the visitor and automatically reformat to fit the screen for best viewing experience.
- This means when they are viewed on the small screen of a smartphone the horizontal menu reformats into a vertical menu.
- The page content also rearranges into a single long column to fit the small smartphone screen.
- On a larger tablet the site formats itself also for best viewing.
Where do you get WordPress software?
- The free software is available in a variety of ways. At WordPress.com you can simply click to start a site and a wizard walks you through the steps.
- There are a few extra steps for a WordPress.org site but these are also quick and easy. For a self-hosted site you need to sign up with a domain registrar and buy a domain name for the site.
- Then sign up with a web host. There are a few steps to add the domain name to the host. There is a one click installation for WordPress at the web host.
How do I get started?
- If you have never seen a WordPress dashboard you can see one for free by watching videos on this site. You can also go to the WordPress.com site and start a practice site to experiment and get some familiarity.
- This is not necessary but sometimes new WordPress people may feel more relaxed with a little time to get to know WordPress slowly.
- Go to a domain registrar and buy a name. Then go to a web host and sign up for an account. The directions and tutorials will tell you what to do next. You can watch videos on this site under Set Up Site. Call the free telephone support at the domain registrar or web host if you need live help to talk you through the steps.
When do people use WordPress as a website and when do they use it as a blog?
- There are a variety of combinations.
- A static homepage on a traditional website is a good place to put information for visitors that will not change.
- The blog is where you can add new content in the form of blog posts regularly. The most recent article posted will be at the top of the blog.
- You can also create a “sticky post” which is a blog post that stays the same at the top while the rest of the blog updates.
Where do you get Help?
There are thousands of sites on the internet with free WordPress help. Type your question into a search engine box and you will see all the results. You can also type in WordPress and follow it with the words help, forum, how to, or other keywords related to your issue.
If you need help when you are installing WordPress you can call the free telephone help lines at the domain registrar or the web host.
If you go to a WordPress developers forum they will be talking about code. But you can search for beginners help if you do not use code.
Click to Visit These Related Posts:
- No Related Posts