Creating a Link Graphic Adds a Custom Touch to Your Website
A custom link button can have a description and a call to action so visitors know that it is a link as well as a graphic.
Custom Buttons or Free Graphics: Depending on your button design the words Click to (for instance Click to Visit Tutorials)….etc. may be helpful. Some buttons have graphics that make it obvious they are functioning as links. You can also find free link buttons by browsing the internet.
One of the free, easy to use programs where you can create custom link buttons is Picasa but any graphics and images program will work fine for this.
Steps to Create Custom Link Button Graphics
1. Use Picasa or Any Graphics Software. These steps will apply to Picasa. Open Picasa and choose a background type image that you can use for the button. You don’t need to use the whole image because you can use the cut tool to just cut out a portion that makes a good background. For instance, if you were making a button for a Cruise site you might use a graphic that was a photo of blue ocean.
2. Background can be an image or flat color. If you do not have a suitable image go to google and search for royalty free backgrounds. Another option is to choose a flat color without graphics or texture as a background. TYou can also search for free buttons if you don’t want to create your own.
3. Using the Cut Tool. In Picasa double click on the image you want to use then use the Cut Tool to cut out the area you need from the image.
4. Using the Text Tool. Now in Picasa click to use the Text Tool and choose sizes and colors for the text and it’s outline. Type it on the image and resize it using the handles and drag it around.
5. Special Effects. Try different colors for the text and it’s outline to see the special effects and try different fonts.
6. Save. When you’re done Save it to your desktop or preferred place.
7. Dashboard. Go to the Dashboard of your site and to the Page or Post where you want to add a link button.
8. Upload Button Image. Click to upload an image near the upper left of the text box. . You can either upload it directly from your computer or from the media library if you have already uploaded it.
9. Resize Button Image. When you add the image to the post or page there will be size selections you can make in the upload screen. Do not upload it as a thumbnail because this will cut part of the image off. You can also click on the uploaded image in the text box to resize it. Use the text box formatting choices to add the button to the left, right, or center.
10. Adding Link to Image. Click on the image and then click the Add Link button in the top of the text box.
11. Link. Type in or paste in the link.
12. Save. Click Save and go to the front of the website to see if the button is the right size. You can always go back and resize it or change it from left, right or center.
13. Buttons Plus Featured Image. If you are using a Featured Image there is still room for a linked button. The software will automatically rearrange the text so the images fit.