Ebooks, Reports and Papers Can be Created in Microsoft Word and Simply Saved As PDF’s
The example in the video screencast below shows WordPress Theme Twenty Twelve. The steps are similar in other themes as well.
You can also take the pdf created and convert it to epub or mobipocket to meet the needs of people using a variety of mobile devices and ebook readers.
Microsoft Word has the design tools to create tables of contents, footers and other elements you need in an ebook.
The ebook that is saved in a pdf format can be converted using the suitable app for a kindle, nook, other ebook reading devices, ipads, other tablets and iphones.
There are many different devices and apps that convert pdf files. You can first write and publish the ebook as a pdf and later publish it in different formats for different devices. If it is also available in epub and mobi this will be a good start. Also, device users can simply download mobipocket or apps to convert the ebook.
A PDF file created in MIcrosoft Word can contain text, images, hyperlinks.
PDF means portable document file and it was created by Adobe. It was created in the early 1990’s for the purpose of sharing documents by users who have different computer platforms.
- Design and write your book in Microsoft Word
- Create a title page with the title, subtitle, book author and other details you wish to add.
- Format this page by using the Styles Gallery in the menu on the Home page to style the titles. You will see there are many choices from subtitles and emphasis to bold and so on.
- Next choose Page Layouts, Breaks and Page to start a new page for the Table of Contents.
- Type the title Table of Contents.
- Click to choose References, Table of Contents, Insert Table of Contents.
- Click to select how many levels to show and to select a format. Click OK.
- A message will appear that says “no table of contents found” but that will change later. After you type some content for the book you can click to select that message and hit F9 to update it to start showing entries.
- Click to choose Page Layout, Breaks, Page to start a new page.
- Type a chapter title and choose a format style such as H1 for heading 1.
- Second level or subtitle headings will use H2 for heading 2.
- Add the title and perhaps subtitle as a header. Click Insert on the toolbar, then Header, Insert Header, Edit Header.
- Type the book title into the page header.
- Now we can add page numbers at the bottom. Click Insert, Footer, Edit Footer.
- On the toolbar click Page Number, Bottom of Page and select a style.
- Now click Page Number, Format Page Number, and Start At.
- Set the first page number at 1.
- Click Close Header and Footer.
- Type a chapter.
- To start a new chapter click Page Layout, Breaks, Page and add the title for the next chapter.
- You can now return to the Table of Contents page and click inside then hit F9 to update it and show the chapters.
- When you save the book you can click Save As and choose to save as PDF, rich text, or HTML. You can save it in each of these if you wish for later conversion if needed for reading devices, tablets and smartphones.